Fnideq security sweep widens as would-be migrant interceptions rise to 294

294 would-be irregular migrants intercepted in Fnideq

Moroccan security forces have intercepted 294 would-be irregular migrants in Fnideq and surrounding areas as of 2:45 p.m. Saturday, according to the latest provisional figures provided by a security source.

On 15/08/2026 at 15h29

The tally has risen sharply as operations continue across the area. Authorities had reported 148 interceptions as of 1 p.m., meaning another 146 people were stopped in less than two hours.

Of the 294 people intercepted, 248 are nationals of sub-Saharan African countries, while 46 are Moroccan, the source said.

The figures remain provisional and are expected to rise as national police, the Royal Gendarmerie, Auxiliary Forces and other public security services continue intensive operations aimed at preventing collective irregular migration attempts.

The security deployment has been reinforced for several days in and around Fnideq in response to viral social media calls encouraging a mass crossing into Ceuta on Aug. 15.

Authorities have established checkpoints on roads leading toward the border area, restricted access to the vicinity of Bab Sebta to documented travelers and deployed units across Fnideq, surrounding hills and forested areas.

A security cordon has also been established along the coastline, with Royal Gendarmerie patrols and Royal Moroccan Navy vessels monitoring maritime approaches to prevent attempts to reach Sebta by sea or by swimming.

The latest figures reflect the continuing intensity of Saturday’s operation. Earlier in the day, security sources said no collective crossing into Ceuta had been recorded despite the online calls.

Authorities said operations would remain underway, with the number of interceptions likely to increase as security forces continue efforts to prevent mass irregular crossings.

By Said Kadry
On 15/08/2026 at 15h29